By Dominic Chopping

 

Nokia Corp. said Friday that it aims to power its operations using electricity generated solely from renewable sources by 2025.

The Finnish telecom group said the new target covers its offices, research-and-development labs, and factories and will see the amount of energy purchased from renewable sources increase from the 39% in 2020.

Nokia added that while renewable energy isn't currently available in all 120 countries where it operates, the company will work with the broader ecosystem to drive greater uptake of sustainable electricity.

The company said digitalization is critical for making industries more sustainable--resulting in less waste, more resource efficiency and greater productivity, yet 70% of the world's economy still lacks access to key digital technologies.

"There is no green without digital," Chief Executive Pekka Lundmark said.

"Only 30% of the world's economy is currently digitalized, and we must now work to connect the remaining 70% to ensure the world can reach net zero. 5G and related technologies play a critical role in making other industries more sustainable," Mr. Lundmark said.

At the same time, the information and communications technology industry needs to minimize its footprint and accelerate the use of green electricity, he said.

Nokia has already committed to reducing its emissions by 50% across its value chain, including own operations, products in use, logistics, and final assembly supplier factories by 2030. Its commitments have been approved by the Science Based Targets initiative to be in line with the Paris Agreement's aim of limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius.

 

Write to Dominic Chopping at dominic.chopping@wsj.com

 

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

November 12, 2021 03:22 ET (08:22 GMT)

Copyright (c) 2021 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Nokia (NYSE:NOK)
Historical Stock Chart
From Dec 2021 to Jan 2022 Click Here for more Nokia Charts.
Nokia (NYSE:NOK)
Historical Stock Chart
From Jan 2021 to Jan 2022 Click Here for more Nokia Charts.