By Saabira Chaudhuri
Ford Motor Co. (F) has said it will recall about 11,500 Ford Escape vehicles over risk of an underhood fire.
The company is recalling 2013 model year Ford Escape vehicles equipped with a 1.6-liter engine, which were built through July 11. Ford said it will replace an engine compartment fuel line, which could split and leak fuel, potentially resulting in an underhood fire. So far, no injuries have been reported.
Ford said Escapes equipped with 2.0-liter and the 2.5-liter engines are unaffected.
The company is advising affected owners not to drive their vehicles and to contact their dealers immediately for the needed repair. It says that its dealers will deliver a loaner vehicle to customers and that the repairs should take less than an hour to complete.
The vehicles were produced and distributed for sale in North America, most in the U.S.
Separately, on Wednesday, The Wall Street Journal reported that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration had opened an investigation into a possible defect in nearly 700,000 Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute sport-utility vehicles because of a flaw that could cause them to accelerate even after the driver takes his foot off the throttle.
However, the investigation involves 2001 through 2004 Escapes and Tributes with 3-liter, V6 engines.
Write to Saabira Chaudhuri at email@example.com
Subscribe to WSJ: http://online.wsj.com?mod=djnwires